Friday, October 10, 2008

Accountability

So, I am joining this to gain some accountability in my health and fitness goals. My name is Jessica, I am 28 years old, have been married for 7 years, and no kids (yet).

I have been in some pretty bad eating and (lack of) exercise patterns for the past 8 years or so. Lots of work and school have gotten me in the mode of not eating well and not really exercising.

Over the past year I really made an effort to get healthier. I was only working part-time from home, in Portland, and I had time to cook healthy dinners and exercise regularly. I enjoy exercising and I know it makes me feel better and it makes me happier!

After moving back to L.A. and starting grad school, I lost much of my motivation (and time) to exercise and eat right. Although I have been eating pretty decent meals on a regular basis, sugar is my arch nemesis. Basically, I am a superhero and sugar is the bad guy. And the bad guy is winning. Dr. Pepper is my biggest weakness, and I am doing my best to avoid it, but after 8 years of using sugar as a coping mechanism, it isn't easy!

My goal is to lose weight, and gain all-over definition in my body. I really enjoy yoga and running, although running in downtown L.A. is challenging, and slightly dangerous! I would like to lose about 10 pounds so I weigh less than 130. I would also like to lose the fat around my middle section and feel more comfortable with my body (a lifelong goal!).

My goal is to do yoga at least 5 days per week for at least 20 minutes per day. I am looking into getting some sort of membership to a yoga studio as well. I am also making small changes to my day which include: taking the stairs all the time (never the elevator to my 3rd floor apartment), eating smaller meals throughout the day, walking the dog for at least 30 minutes daily (she walks fast!), avoiding non-water drinks, and avoiding sugary snacks.

I look forward to posting about my progress and gaining support and motivation from all of you!

That is me, second from the right. Can you tell that is my mom and little sister on either side of me? Sis-in-law is in the pink.

3 comments:

  1. YAY!! i'm so glad you're here and you're going to do GREAT!!!!!
    keep us updated!
    Yay Jessica!!!
    p.s your sister looks JUST like you!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good luck with your goal! I'm sorry that I didn't get to know you before you moved away.

    ReplyDelete
  3. all right friend. glad you're in!

    ReplyDelete