Thursday, October 16, 2008

You Are What You Eat

Have any of you seen this show? It's on the BBC channel. If you haven't seen it, you may want to catch an episode sometime. For those of you who haven't seen it, they always have someone, in England, who needs to lose weight. They say the person's weight by "stone"...like she weighs in at 16 stones. I never knew what a stone weighed, but I just looked it up...1 stone = 14 lbs. So 16 stones would be like 224 lbs. Yikes!

---Anyway, so my point is: I watched an episode of this show today. And near the beginning of the show, they have someone keep a secret journal of everything the person eats and then Jilian (the holistic nutritionist) brings them into a room with a table loaded with all the foods and drinks the person ate all week. The table is always heaping full, and looks disgusting! And the funny thing is that there's never any water or fruit on the table. So, I was thinking, what would my table look like?

Confession: I only remember what I ate today...

-frosted mini wheats with 1% milk--a few pinches of sunflower seeds (Jilian approved)--one peanut butter cup--one slice of cheese pizza--one slice of Canadian bacon with pineapple pizza (pineapple is a fruit)--one glass of ice water--2 Swedish fish candies--3 little ceasers bread sticks with sauce-

...this is just part of a day and it's only 4 pm. I wonder what a whole week would look like? Jilian would be "disappointed" as she would say. But I might get the thumbs up for the sunflower seeds, pineapple and water.

Also, I must confess, that watching the show should make me sick about eating chips, but I like to eat them while watching...I didn't today! The frosted mini wheats are a step up from the candy bar breakfast I used to eat, on many occasions, before I got married. Bad eating habits are hard to break!

P.S. I didn't work out today, but I plan to workout tomorrow and Saturday!

6 comments:

  1. Awesome post!!!! It is toally hard to admit to all the bad things you eat and do. I love those types of shows. I saw one once about a lady who always went to a pub after work and would drink about 5 glasses of red wine. EVERYDAY!!! Anyway, the wake up call for the woman was how much sugar is in one glass of wine and they showed her how much sugar she consumed in a week... it was disgusting... it was a small mountain of sugar! She also found out her balance had been permanently compromised by her daily drinking. Even when she wasn't drunk her balance was as poor as that of a drunk person. Those shows are awesome. It really puts what we put into ourself in perspective!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. i will have to check that show out. i hear you on the unhealthy eating. my mantra has turned into "my health is more important than my cravings". this helps a little, but sometimes it is just too easy to back to the dr. pepper and candy breakfasts of my past!

    great work on your progress!

    ReplyDelete
  3. oh my gosh, i would die if i had to look at what i'd eaten for a week!!! i'm so not ready for that commitment of departing with sugar!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey I forgot to post the tips they had for cutting down on snacking: drink plenty of water, which we all know, and they say if you're having snack cravings to brush your teeth and the clean minty feeling may make you forget about the snack.

    ReplyDelete
  5. interesting joy.....
    I also don't want to look at what I ate this week! YIKES.
    good thing i'm home now and tomorrow is a NEW day!!:)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I tried the water thing yesterday and it really does work! So does the brushing your teeth, PLUS both of things are good for you so it's a win win!

    ReplyDelete