Tuesday, November 16, 2010

Hills!

So, I've been training with Coach Joel for about 9wks or so now...maybe more? i'm not sure...anyway...when I started out I told him HOW MUCH I hated Hills...mostly b/c I completely sucked at them....anytime a race had a hill, I fell behind..it just killed my legs because OBVIOUSLY I was not in shape enough to conquer them. ... I remember my FIRST hill workout with Joel about 7wks ago...it sucked! It was hard and I felt like dying....I think he actually cut it a bit short for me b/c there was no way I could do it all......

TODAY, however, after 9wks of training and doing what i've been taught, I showed up for our hill workout, ready to give it all I got. I even brought a little Kanye West with me (lol) so I could listen to "Stronger" every time I ran up those hills.
The words in the beginning of the song are great "That that don't kill me, only makes me stronger"... , and I tried to stay focussed on those words and knocking 1 minute off at a time.
The workout was hill sprints in minute increments of 1,2,3,4 min then jog back after each one and again 1,2,3,4. I told Joel had he not been there, I would have done the first set and called it good. This is where having a coach is so KEY to success!! I knew I didn't want to let him down and so I dug deep, stayed focussed and apparently (he was timing) I finished faster than I started.
It was a great feeling of accomplishment. The next time I come to a hill in a race, I am going to face it with confidence, not fear.
I DO feel stronger everyday and am starting to believe in MY abilities and the POSSIBILITIES that lay ahead. .

2 comments:

  1. Way to go lady, that sounds super tough. Where were you at? Good work, so are we on for the 18k? :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. we were at Terwilliger hills.
    Joel wants me to do a full marathon in spring so I might do that instead...I won't be signing up for anything for a while just in case....

    ReplyDelete